The Winter Getaway faculty and I are looking forward to
working with you.
Below is a list of everything you
need to arrive safely, happily and ready to enjoy the weekend,
including how to book our special rate to extend your stay.
Please read it carefully even if you've attended before so you don't miss
"Meet, Greet & Ask" – This session is for first-timers,
so you can ask any questions you might have, meet other
writers who are new to the Getaway and take a tour. Friday
6:00 – 7:00 p.m.
- Opening Reception – New menu of light hors d'oeuvres,
rather than soup and bread.
- Open Mics – This year we’re offering three open mics,
including two that take place earlier in the evening.
- Getaway Disco – One night only! Come dance or forever
hold your peace. Saturday night. Come early for Peter’s
oldies dance party from 9:30 – 11:00 p.m.!
- Song Swap – Featuring the Song Writing Workshop crew.
- Quiet Writing Room – This elusive room has been moved to
a new, easier to find location on the 1st
- Algonquin-style Workshops
– Last year we experimented with a poetry section of this
quirky workshop. It’s become so popular we’ve added an extra
poetry section and a prose section. There are a couple seats
left in the prose one, available on a first-come,
if you'd like to claim one. Write, drink and be merry!
- Poetry: Friday 3:30 – 6:30 p.m. - Filled
- Poetry: Saturday 4:30 – 7:30 p.m. - Filled
- Prose: Friday 3:30 – 6:30 p.m.
4:00 p.m. or later: You may check in at Seaview anytime after 4:00
p.m. When you
arrive, you can pull up to the main entrance
where the bell service will help you unload. You can then pull
around to the free parking area or leave your car with valet
parking for $13 per day.
- 4:00 – 7:00 p.m.: Plan to stop by "Getaway Central" between 4:00 and 7:00
register and pick
up your Getaway folder and registration materials. Getaway Central is located near the
front desk on the way to the guest room elevators.
- 6:00 p.m. event options
- "Meet, Greet & Ask" session for first-timers
(Includes a tour)
- Facility tour at 6:00 or 6:30 p.m.
- Writers’ Happy Hour – Look for others wearing Getaway
name tags and introduce yourself.
7:00 p.m.: Opening Program – Reception, Book Swap and
Orientation, offering light
hors d'oeuvres. If you have a hearty appetite, consider
eating beforehand. The formal program will begin around 8:00
- If you need to arrive after 7:00 p.m., ask the front desk to
direct you to the opening session in the Bayview Ballroom
where you can pick up your folder in the back of the room.
- If you need to arrive after 9:30 p.m. or on Saturday morning, your
folder will be waiting for you at Getaway Central.
The Getaway will NOT be cancelled! If the forecast looks
threatening, consider arriving a day or two early at the special
reduced rate mentioned below. If you are delayed for any reason,
weather or otherwise, please contact us
and plan to arrive Saturday and you can still enjoy most of your
Cancellation policy reminder
The Fine Print)
● On or before Nov. 20 — 100% refund minus a
$50 processing fee
Nov. 21-Dec. 10 — 50% of total refunded
Dec. 11-31 — 50% credit for future Getaway
● Jan. 1 or after — Sorry, no refund will be issued
● Change Fee ($25) will be charged to switch your
workshop, room package, tutorial(s), add-ons and/or payment
method after Dec. 10
and writing paper.
Medications, toiletries and personal items.
- Dress is casual. Bring an extra sweater or two.
- If you smoke, bring a warm coat! Seaview is
- If you have a book or CD you would like to sell at the
Bookstore, bring up to 10 copies of no more than 3 titles.
We will sell them on consignment for a 20% fee. Instructions
will be in your Getaway folder. (Payments and unsold books will
be returned at 1 p.m. on Monday. Please plan to leave after that
- Cash or checks for the Bookstore (sorry, no credit
cards), housekeeping gratuity, coffee at the gift shop,
incidentals and Saturday night out.
- A credit card to swipe at check in for incidentals.
- Item to trade at the Friday night Book Swap: The swap is an informal way to share
books and literary magazines. They'll be placed on a
table where you can drop off your items and pick up
whatever strikes your fancy. If you have any that you don't want to
keep anymore, feel free to bring them, but you won't get
them back, so bring only what
you can live without. (And no, you certainly don't have to
be published in them.)
- A laptop and printer are
not necessary, but if you bring one,
internet access is available in many parts of the hotel.
(There is a business center equipped with computers and
a printer/copy machine. Details below.)
- Appropriate clothing and gear if you plan to swim,
participate in yoga, go for a nature walk, work
out, play golf, get
dressy for AC or the Getaway disco, etc.
- Snacks and beverages that don't need refrigeration.
- A previously written short piece of writing (or poem
or two), 3 minute maximum, to share during an Open Mic.
- Poetry participants: Look for our email
during the week of 1/8/14 with more specific notes for
Greedy for more solitude? Come early or stay
If you would like to extend your Getaway,
please call Beth Williams, Reservation Manager, 609-748-7608. If
she doesn't pick up, leave a message and identify yourself as a
Winter Poetry & Prose Getaway participant who would like to
check in early or stay longer, and she will
return your call within two business days. The rate for extra
nights for the 2014 Getaway will be $93/night plus taxes and
fees (single or double occupancy, no meals included) and will
enable you to stay in the same room throughout your whole visit.
Seaview has a 24 hour Business Center which will allow you to
print for free. You'll need to use your room key to access it,
so commuters will need to team up with those staying over. Email
your file to yourself, or use your USB drive to transfer your
document to Seaview's computers to print.
Please note: Most workshops have a 12:00 p.m. deadline
for turning in work to print, and the Business Center will be
very busy then. Please plan accordingly and be patient.
Travel Page for all the
If you get to the area before check in begins, consider stopping by the
Museum of Art,
Smithville or drive the loop around the
Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge;
all three are just minutes away.
Check out our
carpool board to connect with others looking to share rides and
You'll receive a copy of the schedule in the Getaway folder
you receive at
registration, but you can
view the latest draft here, hot off the presses.
- Reminder about meals. Meals will be served buffet style
with a variety of choices including vegetarian and gluten
- Your tuition includes: Friday evening reception, lunch
Saturday and Sunday and dinner Sunday
- Additional meals included for those with room packages:
3 breakfasts, 1 additional lunch (Monday)
- Information on the weekend's Special Programs is
- The weekend will close on Monday with the Closing Program and a tribute
to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Immediately following the program, at
approximately 1:00 p.m., bookstore payments and unsold items will be available for pickup. Monday's lunch (included for
participants with a room package) will also start at 1:00
- Like to be active? We're offering sunrise yoga all three
mornings at 7 a.m. Bring loose fitting clothes and a yoga mat
- If you have any questions prior to the 16th, please call
Peter or Amanda at 609-823-5076.
- If you have a last minute question or emergency on the
16th or 17th, leave a message for us at Seaview,
**Please travel safely! The biggest risks you take should be
with your imagination.**