**Information for 2015 participants will be posted on this blog by January 5, 2015.**
Winter Poetry & Prose Getaway
January 17-20, 2014
The Winter Getaway faculty and I are looking forward to working with you. Below is a list of everything you need to arrive safely, happily and ready to enjoy the weekend, including how to book our special rate to extend your stay. Please read it carefully even if you’ve attended before so you don’t miss anything.
- “Meet, Greet & Ask” – This session is for first-timers, so you can ask any questions you might have, meet other writers who are new to the Getaway and take a tour. Friday 6:00 – 7:00 p.m.
- Opening Reception – New menu of light hors d’oeuvres, rather than soup and bread.
- Open Mics – This year we’re offering three open mics, including two that take place earlier in the evening.
- Getaway Disco – One night only! Come dance or forever hold your peace. Saturday night. Come early for Peter’s oldies dance party from 9:30 – 11:00 p.m.!
- Song Swap – Featuring the Song Writing Workshop crew. Sunday night.
- Quiet Writing Room – This elusive room has been moved to a new, easier to find location on the 1st floor.
- Algonquin-style Workshops – Last year we experimented with a poetry section of this quirky workshop. It’s become so popular we’ve added an extra poetry section and a prose section. There are a couple seats left in the prose one, available on a first-come, first-served basis. Register here if you’d like to claim one. Write, drink and be merry!
- Poetry: Friday 3:30 – 6:30 p.m. – Filled
- Poetry: Saturday 4:30 – 7:30 p.m. - Filled
- Prose: Friday 3:30 – 6:30 p.m.
- 4:00 p.m. or later: You may check in at Seaview anytime after 4:00 p.m. When you arrive, you can pull up to the main entrance where the bell service will help you unload. You can then pull around to the free parking area or leave your car with valet parking for $13 per day.
- 4:00 – 7:00 p.m.: Plan to stop by “Getaway Central” between 4:00 and 7:00 p.m. to register and pick up your Getaway folder and registration materials. Getaway Central is located near the front desk on the way to the guest room elevators.
- 6:00 p.m. event options
- “Meet, Greet & Ask” session for first-timers (Includes a tour)
- Facility tour at 6:00 or 6:30 p.m.
- Writers’ Happy Hour – Look for others wearing Getaway name tags and introduce yourself.
- 7:00 p.m.: Opening Program – Reception, Book Swap and Orientation, offering light hors d’oeuvres. If you have a hearty appetite, consider eating beforehand. The formal program will begin around 8:00 p.m.
- If you need to arrive after 7:00 p.m., ask the front desk to direct you to the opening session in the Bayview Ballroom where you can pick up your folder in the back of the room.
- If you need to arrive after 9:30 p.m. or on Saturday morning, your folder will be waiting for you at Getaway Central.
The Getaway will NOT be cancelled! If the forecast looks threatening, consider arriving a day or two early at the special reduced rate mentioned below. If you are delayed for any reason, weather or otherwise, please contact us and plan to arrive Saturday and you can still enjoy most of your weekend.
Cancellation policy reminder (As published in The Fine Print)
● On or before Nov. 20 — 100% refund minus a $50 processing fee
● Nov. 21-Dec. 10 — 50% of total refunded
● Dec. 11-31 — 50% credit for future Getaway
● Jan. 1 or after — Sorry, no refund will be issued
● Change Fee ($25) will be charged to switch your workshop, room package, tutorial(s), add-ons and/or payment method after Dec. 10
What to Bring
- Notebook and writing paper.
- Medications, toiletries and personal items.
- Dress is casual. Bring an extra sweater or two.
- If you smoke, bring a warm coat! Seaview is completely nonsmoking.
- If you have a book or CD you would like to sell at the Getaway Bookstore, bring up to 10 copies of no more than 3 titles. We will sell them on consignment for a 20% fee. Instructions will be in your Getaway folder. (Payments and unsold books will be returned at 1 p.m. on Monday. Please plan to leave after that point.)
- Cash or checks for the Bookstore (sorry, no credit cards), housekeeping gratuity, coffee at the gift shop, incidentals and Saturday night out.
- A credit card to swipe at check in for incidentals.
- Item to trade at the Friday night Book Swap: The swap is an informal way to share books and literary magazines. They’ll be placed on a table where you can drop off your items and pick up whatever strikes your fancy. If you have any that you don’t want to keep anymore, feel free to bring them, but you won’t get them back, so bring only what you can live without. (And no, you certainly don’t have to be published in them.)
- A laptop and printer are not necessary, but if you bring one, free wi-fi internet access is available in many parts of the hotel. (There is a business center equipped with computers and a printer/copy machine. Details below.)
- Appropriate clothing and gear if you plan to swim, participate in yoga, go for a nature walk, work out, play golf, get dressy for AC or the Getaway disco, etc.
- Snacks and beverages that don’t need refrigeration.
- A previously written short piece of writing (or poem or two), 3 minute maximum, to share during an Open Mic.
- Poetry participants: Look for our email during the week of 1/8/14 with more specific notes for you.
Extending your Getaway
Greedy for more solitude? Come early or stay longer. If you would like to extend your Getaway, please call Beth Williams, Reservation Manager, 609-748-7608. If she doesn’t pick up, leave a message and identify yourself as a Winter Poetry & Prose Getaway participant who would like to check in early or stay longer, and she will return your call within two business days. The rate for extra nights for the 2014 Getaway will be $93/night plus taxes and fees (single or double occupancy, no meals included) and will enable you to stay in the same room throughout your whole visit.
Seaview has a 24 hour Business Center which will allow you to print for free. You’ll need to use your room key to access it, so commuters will need to team up with those staying over. Email your file to yourself, or use your USB drive to transfer your document to Seaview’s computers to print.
Please note: Most workshops have a 12:00 p.m. deadline for turning in work to print, and the Business Center will be very busy then. Please plan accordingly and be patient.
Location, Directions, Public Transportation, Etc.
Visit our location page for all the the travel details.
If you get to the area before check in begins, consider stopping by the Noyes Museum of Art, Historic Smithville or drive the loop around the Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge; all three are just minutes away
Carpooling to the Winter Getaway
Check out our carpool board to connect with others looking to share rides and expenses.
You’ll receive a copy of the schedule in the Getaway folder you receive at registration, but you can view the latest schedule here, hot off the presses.
Additional Program Information
- Reminder about meals. Meals will be served buffet style with a variety of choices including vegetarian and gluten free options:
- Your tuition includes: Friday evening reception, lunch Saturday and Sunday and dinner Sunday
- Additional meals included for those with room packages: 3 breakfasts, 1 additional lunch (Monday)
- Information on the weekend’s Special Programs is available here.
- The weekend will close on Monday with the Closing Program and a tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Immediately following the program, at approximately 1:00 p.m., bookstore payments and unsold items will be available for pickup. Monday’s lunch (included for participants with a room package) will also start at 1:00 p.m.
- Like to be active? We’re offering sunrise yoga all three mornings at 7 a.m. Bring loose fitting clothes and a yoga mat or towel.
- If you have any questions prior to the 16th, please call Peter or Amanda at 609-823-5076.
- If you have a last minute question or emergency on the 16th or 17th, leave a message for us at Seaview, 609-652-1800.
**Please travel safely! The biggest risks you take should be with your imagination.**