23rd Annual Winter Poetry & Prose Getaway
January 15-18, 2016
Below is a list of everything you need to arrive safely, happily and ready to enjoy the weekend, including how to book our special rate to extend your stay. Please read it carefully even if you’ve attended before so you don’t miss anything.
- Important-driving directions change: The “Rest Stop” Exit on the Garden State Parkway has closed since last year. Please follow these new directions to Seaview.
- Extended hours for the Getaway Bookstore: Sunday, 5:00-8:15 p.m. as well as after the evening program, from 10:00-10:30 p.m.
- If you are taking an Algonquin-style Workshop, plan to arrive by 3:00 p.m on Friday. This workshop has become so popular, we’ve added extra sections. There are a couple of seats left, available on a first-come, first-served basis. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to claim one. Write, drink and be merry! Algonquin-participants: Look for our email during the week of 1/7/16 with more specific notes for you.
- New in Recent Years:
- Our Big News: We are officially part of Stockton University! While our name has changed to Murphy Writing of Stockton University, our commitment to you hasn’t changed. Read more.
- Monday Check Out Time Extended: Hey, Getawayers! You asked, we delivered. Enjoy those last few moments of sleep before your Monday morning workshop. 12pm check out is here.
- More Open Mics: We now offer four open mics, one of which will be a musical open mic for performing new work, old work or even covers. Bring your instrument if you would like to participate.
- 4:00 p.m. or later: You may check in at Seaview anytime after 4:00 p.m. When you arrive, you can pull up to the main entrance where the bell service will help you unload. You can then pull around to the free parking area or leave your car with valet parking for $13 per day (or $6 per day for commuters).
- 4:00 – 7:00 p.m.: Plan to stop by “Getaway Central” between 4:00 and 7:00 p.m. to register and pick up your Getaway folder and registration materials. Getaway Central is located near the front desk on the way to the guest room elevators.
- 6:00 p.m. event options
- First-time Participants Session: New to the Getaway or have attended in a while? Plan to attend “Meet, Greet & Ask” so you can meet other writers who are new to the Getaway, take a tour and ask any questions you might have.
- Writers’ Happy Hour – Look for others wearing Getaway name tags and introduce yourself.
- 7:00 p.m.: Opening Program – Reception, Book Swap and Orientation. We’ve bid a fond farewell to our days of soup and bread, and the menu now features traditional reception snacks and a cash bar. If you have a hearty appetite, consider eating dinner beforehand. The formal program will begin around 8:00 p.m.
- If you need to arrive after 7:00 p.m., ask the front desk to direct you to the opening session in the Bayview Ballroom and you can pick up your folder in the back of the room.
- If you need to arrive after 9:30 p.m., please stop at Getaway Central on Saturday morning between 8:30 – 8:45 a.m. to check in and pick up your materials.
The Getaway will NOT be cancelled! If the forecast looks threatening, consider arriving a day or two early at the special reduced rate mentioned below. If you are delayed for any reason, weather or otherwise, please contact us and plan to arrive Saturday and you can still enjoy most of your weekend.
Cancellation policy reminder (As published in The Fine Print)
● On or before Nov. 20 — 100% refund minus a $50 processing fee
● Nov. 21-Dec. 10 — 50% of total refunded
● Dec. 11-31 — 50% credit for future Getaway
● Jan. 1 or after — Sorry, no refund will be issued
● Change Fee ($25) will be charged to switch your workshop, room package, tutorial(s), add-ons and/or payment method after Dec. 10
What to Bring
- Notebook and writing paper.
- Medications, toiletries and personal items.
- Dress is casual. Bring an extra sweater or two.
- If you smoke, bring a warm coat! Seaview is completely nonsmoking.
- Cash or checks for the Bookstore (sorry, no credit cards), housekeeping gratuity, coffee at the gift shop, incidentals and Saturday night out.
- A credit card to swipe at check in for incidentals.
- A laptop and printer are not necessary, but if you bring one, free wi-fi internet access is available in many parts of the hotel. (There is a business center equipped with a printer. Details below.)
- Item to trade at the Friday night Book Swap: The swap is an informal way to share books and literary magazines. They’ll be placed on a table where you can drop off your items and pick up whatever strikes your fancy. Feel free to bring an item to share, but you won’t get it back, so bring only what you can live without. (And no, you certainly don’t have to be published in them.)
- Appropriate clothing and gear if you plan to swim, participate in yoga, go for a nature walk, work out, play golf, get dressy for AC or the Getaway disco, etc.
- Snacks and beverages that don’t need refrigeration.
- If you’d like to participate in an Open Mic, bring a previously written short piece of work (or poem or two), 3 minute maximum for regular open mics, or 5 minute max for the musical open mic.
- Poetry participants: Look for our email during the week of 1/7/16 with more specific notes for you.
Extended hours for the Getaway Bookstore: Sunday, 5:00-8:15 and 10:00-10:30 p.m. Please bring cash or checks for the Bookstore (sorry, no credit cards).
How to sell your book(s): If you have a book or CD you would like to sell at the Getaway Bookstore, bring up to 10 copies of no more than 3 titles. We will sell them on consignment for a 20% fee. Instructions will be in your Getaway folder. Payments and unsold books will be returned on Monday. Please plan to pick up your items before you leave.
Extending your Getaway
Greedy for more solitude? Come early or stay longer. If you would like to extend your Getaway, please call Beth Williams, Group Reservation Manager, at 609-748-7608. If she doesn’t pick up, leave a message and identify yourself as a Winter Poetry & Prose Getaway participant who would like to check in early or stay longer. It may take her up to five business days to return your call, so do your best to be patient. The rate for extra nights for the 2016 Getaway will be $93/night plus taxes and fees (single or double occupancy, no meals included) and will enable you to stay in the same room throughout your whole visit.
Seaview has a 24 hour Business Center which will allow you to print for free. You’ll need to use your room key to access it, so commuters will need to team up with those staying over. Email your file to yourself, or use your USB drive to transfer your document to Seaview’s computers to print.
- Most workshops have a 12:00 p.m. deadline for turning in work to print, and the Business Center will be very busy then. Please plan accordingly and be patient.
- Printing only (No writing, typing or browsing) from 11:15 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
Location, Directions, Public Transportation, Etc.
Visit our location page for comprehensive travel recommendations.
If you get to the area before check in begins, consider stopping by Historic Smithville or drive the loop around the Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge; all three are just minutes away.
Carpooling to the Winter Getaway
Check out our carpool board to connect with others looking to share rides and expenses.
You’ll receive a copy of the schedule in your Getaway folder at registration, but you can view the latest schedule here, hot off the presses.
Additional Program Information
- Reminder about meals: Meals will be served buffet style with a variety of choices including vegetarian, vegan, gluten free and dairy free options.
- Your tuition includes: Friday evening reception, lunch Saturday and Sunday, and dinner Sunday.
- Additional meals included for those with room packages: 3 breakfasts, 1 additional lunch (Monday)
- The weekend will close on Monday with the Closing Program and a tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Monday’s lunch (included for participants with a room package) will also start at 1:00 p.m.
- Like to be active? We’re offering sunrise yoga all three mornings at 7 a.m. Bring loose fitting clothes and a yoga mat or towel.
- If you have any questions prior to the 14th, please call us at 609-626-3594.
- If you have a last minute question or emergency on the 14th or 15th, leave a message for Peter Murphy at Seaview, 609-652-1800.
**Please travel safely! The biggest risks you take should be with your imagination.**