About the Winter Poetry and Prose Getaway
Winter Poetry & Prose Getaway
January 13-16, 2017
Stockton Seaview Hotel
Galloway, NJ (Atlantic City area)
This writers’ conference offers challenging and supportive workshops, insightful feedback and an encouraging community. Here are some fast facts:
- Special Guests: Stephen Dunn and TBA
- Small workshop sizes: most limited to just 10 participants
- 200 writers from across the country participate each year
- Presented by Murphy Writing of Stockton University
- Celebrating its 24th year–founded in 1994 by Peter Murphy
See which workshops we’re offering this year.
“I have been to 11 Getaways and 17 of the poems I drafted there have been published! If you ever get discouraged and wonder why you are looking up obscure quotations or packing up boxes of postcards, I can tell you that your goofy prompts/ variations/ challenges for the delusional really work. 17 poems I would not have written if not for you, Peter. Thank you for helping me become a poet.”
~ Pat, Elkton, MD
The Getaway has had a big impact on some writers’ lives. Read some of our success stories.
History and Background
Murphy Writing of Stockton University offers a number of writing programs in the United States and abroad. The Winter Poetry & Prose Getaway is the flagship.
Peter Murphy created the Winter Getaway in 1994 based on his belief that when writers leave behind distractions to gather in an encouraging community, they will make breakthroughs in their art. Over the last two decades, the Getaway has become one of the oldest and largest writers’ conferences in the winter season, attracting more than 200 writers from across the country.
The inspiration behind the conference was unique. In the late ’80s, when Peter returned home from his first residency at an artist colony, he failed to find enough solitude to continue creating exciting new work. Peter decided to put together his own mini retreat and rented a hotel room for a weekend. He liked what he wrote, so he checked into a different hotel the following month, and the month after that. When Peter told other writers about his hotel habit, they frequently said, “I wish I could go with you.”
A strong believer in community, Peter decided to host a Getaway for these writers and chose the three-day holiday weekend honoring Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., which was the slow season in the shore town of Cape May. In 2012, the Getaway partnered with Stockton University and moved to Stockton’s Seaview Hotel near Atlantic City, NJ.
- Stockton University is an undergraduate and graduate college of the arts, sciences and professional studies. It is ranked in the top tier of the Best Regional Colleges and Universities of the North (America’s Best Colleges for 2014) by U.S. News and World Report.
- Murphy Writing of Stockton University offers eight writing retreats a year in the United States and abroad. View upcoming Writing Getaways.
In 2012, Jane Street Press published Challenges for the Delusional, a collection of Peter’s writing prompts from the Winter Getaway and the poems they inspired.
Future Winter Getaway Dates
January 13-16, 2017
January 12-15, 2018
January 18-21, 2019